Tuesday, April 21, 2009

No more non-reviews; here come "Analysis" and "Criticisms"

Getting sick is always a pain.

Seeing how I'm getting the knack of writing self-proving statements, I'll just go on to say that getting sick isn't so bad as it gets you into a different state of mind. Pain-relieving medicine is mind-altering by itself, but it's also something else to watch yourself from a third-person psyche perspective when you are a feverish madman with illogical anger swings; it's like enjoying the immunity from responsibility that the criminally insane have, or tantrum throwing celebrities.

The whole point is that I haven't been writing much because I haven't been thinking in sentences lately, making articulation a mouthful of crackers in the desert sun. Still, I have been thinking about this blog; it's obvious where my passion lies and it isn't Senate reform or the Ottawa Senators (sorry about the playoffs...).

I was thinking about re-initializing and re-formating this already rather new blog; specifically, that I don't do reviews. I do non-reviews. A review can be many things: criticism, analysis, an affirmation of your experience, or even an attempt to convert others to your specific "geek" love.

For video games, this always makes for the exact same review. The "professional" video game places do that and assign a specific value on a scale that brings with it the conceit that, on a scale out of a hundred, you can rate one hundred games where one is better than the other.

I'm somebody who thinks video games are art; bad art, but still art nonetheless. Many gamers share this opinion, and while that makes us at the very least friends on Facebook, I don't think people take this opinion respectfully. Rating a video game out of 100 is reducing it to some consumer product like a car tire or mouthwash. Video games are products made for consumers to buy, but these are different because these are products with culture.

This is why I'll never write the words "buy" or "rent". It's a product, sure, but I'm going to write about the culture of video games that I've lived with all my life that I've only just now started to articulate and interpret this culture. It's not important to curing cancer or relevent to world peace, but for an industry that makes so much money and in turn is embraced and loved by so many I think it's time we really look at what we are interacting with.

It's not just the fever. I need an Tylenol now, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment